Tuesday, April 22, 2008

While I Was Gone

Just finished "While I Was Gone" by Sue Miller. I would give it 3.5/5 stars. I'm not sure why there are tons of people giving it a 5 and raving about the book. I reserve a 5/5 for something like a classic. This was a good book. I can't recommend it to most of my friends b/c they are all Christian and some of the content is NOT Christian.

The main character Jo - I think the author had to make her a doctor/vet. Otherwise we would have all thought she was somewhat retarded. She was selfish and never thought of anyone beyond the scope of her immediate surroundings. Doesn't think of the implications of her actions - which is generally something a lower IQ would do. The plot was interesting - seemed that the "climax" came too soon, or the resolution was too long. The family life though seemed all too familiar. Their was a character named Mary Ellen in the book! Then the sisters - actually one and a set of twins - didn't get along. Well they got along a little better than mine do.

Construction on Hwy 40 behind our house continued to 5am this morning. Of course I did hear it all because William left the windows open b/c he always too hot. So I got to wake up every hour from the noise and wind, then Maddox woke up again at 4:30am.

No comments: