Saturday, October 16, 2004

Aldi = Awesome

I love Aldi. I will never shop anywhere else. Aldi still has a lot of overhead -- being a multi-national corporation and all -- yet does not have the screw-you-over prices like at Schnuck's and Dierberg's. For those of us not earning 6-figure salaries, I think it is a very tiny sacrafice to not have a full-service deli and bakery trying to sell you things you don't need. And if you think you will get out of Schnuck's faster -- oh no. Pity to you that has an item not in our computer and must go for a price check (this happens at least once a day). Or the price on the item is not the price that rings up! Happens often too. And we also have to bag your groceries, which takes time. Aldi does not bag it for you, just gets you out of there quick. I also find Aldi cleaner too. The food goes in the cart and not on the Schnuck's belts. Those black belts are disgusting! The checking area is black with filth.

Here are some simple examples off the top of my head:

Schnuck's Aldi

6 roses $18.00 $3.00
Pringles' $1.79 $.95
2.5 oz lunch meat $.79 $.35
Apple Cider $3.99 $1.99
Happy Apples (4) $2.00 $1.89
12oz shrimp $6.00 minimum $3.99
Cream of Mushroom $.95 $.35
10lb. rus. potatoes $7.90 $1.29
Can cream corn $1.09 $.33
10 tortillas $1.50 $.69
Bananas $.59/lb. $.33/lb.
Box of tea (24ct.) $2.50 $1.29
Bag of name brand candy $2.50 $1.99
Bag of onions $1.99 $.69

Shall I go on? This isn't a few pennies here and there, this is dollars here and there. You save $25 for every $100 you spend. You can go get a nice meal at Casa Gallardo for two people for that money! What does Schnuck's do with the money? Well, in addition to their corporate overhead and loss prevention, they continually hire teenagers that don't care, don't know how to answer questions, don't know where anything is, and don't work. That is my happy thought for the day. And yet also another rebellion against my parents -- they both buy their food at Schnuck's and refuses to go anywhere else.

3 comments:

Dgcopter said...

Damn, those are some good prices. Too bad the closest Aldi to me is in Connecticut -- 75 miles away. I'd blow the savings on gas money. Guess I'll have to stick with good ol' Stop and Shop for now.

Garza said...

You are comparing the cheapest place in my town to the most expensive place.

Our Aldi just opened about a month ago. I took one look at it and thought it was some sort of high-end grocery store until I went inside. Then, I remembered going to an Aldi in Harrisburg, Illinois and what kind of store it was. I absolutely love the place. It's very quick to get in and get out and the prices and quality are great. So far, I haven't liked their diet soda or the fruit cups with gelatin, but other than that everything is great. They have awesome cereal and the fit and active brand is excellent!

Lady Eleven said...

My husband talks up Aldi so much his friend refers to Aldi as "your husband's girlfriend Aldi" LOL.. It is a great place, and I love their new line of LaCura beauty products as well!