Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Books and Movies

Deception Point by Dan Brown I read this book also in two days. It is like 736pp long. He probably could have/should have made it 2-300 pp instead. The book follows the same outline Dan Brown does in all of his books: the prologue has someone die, you find out about that someone halfway through the book, the unexpected person is the guy behind everything, there is a romance, there is some conspiracy of global proportions. If this guy is such a "great" author then why can't he write a book that doesn't follow the SAME outline. It gets old and I'm not reading any more of his books. He has hundreds of chapters - many of them a page or two. Every major woman is "gorgeous". Michael Crichton has MUCH better research. His books are entertaining for the first novel or so but after that he is just Blah.

Movies I watched:
Pirates of the Caribbean at World's End: I always end up needing subtitles on this movie - it is difficult to hear all the words and figure out what they're saying. I understand the plot only halfway through the movie. Also very disappointed that Disney marketed PotC items in their stores when this movie is clearly not for small children. But I liked it much better than #2 and would watch it again.

1408: Strange movie. I'm glad I saw it but wouldn't watch it again.

Mr. Brooks: in the middle of that movie so far - so far it is really good. I think the actors, whom everyone has seen on TV, do a great job of acting like different people than they normally play.

No comments: