Thursday, August 19, 2004

Ol' Stomping Grounds & Relationships

Well, I went to Parkway North yesterday because my little sister had orientation. I knew where everything was, so I showed her around. Not much changed except for the faculty. Around 30-40 teachers retired in the last 2 years. I don't miss teaching all that much. Some things I do miss.

Now onto more philosophical issues.

I think there are three kinds of relationships. One, there is the guy or girl that you are crazy about, there is some kind of "spark" or instant attraction. No matter when or how you meet, it always is there. Call them "soulmates" perhaps. However, these two people have different lives. Maybe they live miles apart, maybe some outside forces just do not allow them to get together, maybe they are on different levels of maturity. Maybe they're ways of life are simply incompatible. They really want to have a relationship, but some outside forces within or out of their control do no allow the relationship to continue.

Two, there is the guy or girl that you get along great with. You may see them often enough that you want to try dating them. Maybe you work or go to school with them. Maybe you attend the same church. You have a lot in common and that gets the relationship going. However, there is no "spark," no attraction and after a while the dating ceases because of this lack of "magic".

Three, there is the combination of the two. I would tend to think that this kind of relationship leads to marriage. First, there is a "spark," an attraction, an instant or growing love for one another. Second, they have similar goals, values, and proximity. Of course, with any marriage there is compromise (sarcrifice and gain)on some of the aforementioned list. That is generally without exception. But in general, the First and Second type combined makes for a good match.

I would tend to think that if you are lucky, you will have all three types. I think to get the third type, you need to experience the first two. That doesn't happen for everyone, but I think it helps with relationship maturity. "Then again, maybe not."

"I could prove God statistically."
George Gallup (1901 - 1984)

1 comment:

Dgcopter said...

I don't think I've had that second kind of relationship. Although, I suppose if you ask my (now ex-) girlfriend, she would say that we started at the third kind and ended up as the second. Or maybe the first. blah.